Monday, October 3, 2011

Mustard Seed

Hola!
We had a great week! Went by pretty quick actually. We ended up having more lessons which was good. We had a lady that said she had a dream about the Bishop but i think i explained that last week. A day later she told us that she didn't want to get baptized which broke our hearts but we gave her some time and when we returned the first thing that she said was..."whelp, i am going to be baptized." We were like..."wait what?" haha she laughed and she said that she decided she wants to get baptized. She took off this week to visit her family but we are going to baptized her next week when she returns. Also, the mission president told us to fill out these things on mormon.org and we can take one hour a week and chat with investigators in Mexico haha its pretty sweet. This is probably the last week I have with elder spear. He has 9 months in the area so he will probably take off :( no bueno but its okay i learned a lot from him.
This last month I have been reading Jesus the Christ (its like 850 pages or something) haha but i just finished a chapter about the parables that Jesus taught. One of them I really liked. It was about the faith of a mustard seed. Elder Talmage, the author, talks about how one grain of the mustard seed can grow into a whole feild! The appplication to this is that if we have even a little bit of faith, it can grow into faith that cant be shaken. Also we had our conference de ward and the Temple President of Tuxtla arrived and talked about a man named Erik Wasen Meyer. At the age of 13 he became completely blind! He always loved climbing mountains. Slowly and surely, he started to climb the tallest mountains in all the world. at the age of 33, Eric Wasen Meyer hiked to the tip top of Mt. Everest! The Temple President gave some statistics of that mountain and the people that have tried climbing it; 90% of the profesional climbers that have attempted it have failed and more than 150 have died trying. When arriving at the base of the mountain after his miraculous climb, reporters asked how he did it. He said, I didnt let doubt or fear come into my mind and I went one step at a time. I love this story! I am pretty sure its correct haha if its not blame my Spanish i'm still learning. But my companion heard the same story. I thought that was so cool. a blind person with the passion to accomplish a goal did indeed accomplish it. I read in Matthew 17:14-20 after the conference where a man confronted Christ asking him to heal the son his Apostoles couldn't. After doing so, the Apostoles asked why they couldn't, Christ's reply was..."if ye have a faith of a mustard seed...nothing shall be made impossible to you." I know this is true. I love speaking Spanish. It has been a long process but I can understand just about most of it. All of it came one step at a time. At times we have a goal that is seeming impossible such as climbing a mountain blind, but if we carefully and patiently press forward with a faith firm in Christ, we will ever so accomplish it. No matter what your Mt. Everest is, no matter your trial  or temptation, if you have faith, you will see the majestic views of your Everest. :) thought that was pretty cool.
Health is good, as well as the Spanish! Love you and miss you all. The pictures are nothing special but they are something. :) oren y preserveren hasta el fin
Elder Braden M.. Spence




1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear you your faith is growing! Fear does stop so many people from reaching their potential! I'm glad that fear and doubt didn't stop you from serving a mission! Keep up the hard work! Love you!

    ReplyDelete